Saturday, February 13, 2010

The Land of Doom/Picture Book Marathon 14/28

Halfway point!

No LAND OF DOOM again, today--I swear they'll start up again tomorrow. At this point, I'm asking myself why I decided to do a really ambitious post (the picture book marathon) while simultaneously doing a really, REALLY ambitious post (THE LAND OF DOOM.)

Seriously, why didn't somebody stop me? I could have spread this material out over two and a half months.

Anyway, we're in it now, and there's no going back.

Picture book #14--the hump-day book is:


Title: The Ugly Pterodactylus

Synopsis: It's the Ugly Duckling story with flying reptiles. The ugly one turns out to be, not a beautiful swan, but a giant-headed Dimorphodon--who ends the story by eating his adopted family.

I was pretty happy with this idea. Flying reptiles don't get the attention their dinosaur counterparts usually get. My wife walked by and saw me working on it, and mentioned this song from the PBS show "Dinosaur Train."

Bam! It's like Hibernation Station all over again! Although this time, I was too far along to stop. Stupid Dinosaur Train.

6 comments:

Mindy said...

Someone did tell you not to do these things simultaneously--it was ME! I told you not to!

DaNae said...

At least someone in your family has some sense. But as you said you are committed now. Or will that follow the end of the month? I, for one, am pleased as jello on a roller-coaster that we get to wear you to a frazzle.

I see all those dinosaurs murals paid off.

Chris said...

Your book is definitely better than the Dinosaur Train song. I give it 5 out of 6.5 egg shells.

Not to be a critic, but you might want to have a slightly less carnivorous ending to any kids books you want to get published. I hear that family-eating is frowned upon in most children's publishing circles.

I for one am just excited to get essentially double posts through the month of February.

edith said...

So I find I don't comment as much now that I'm a follower and can read your post in my reader. I'm lazy, that's what.
But I wanted to say, I'm SO intrigued by the stair-cow.
And please don't let the ugly dino eat his adoptive family. That is all.

Myrna Foster said...

Have you read "Tyranosauros Drip," by Julie Donaldson? It's not about flying dinosaurs, but the adopted family situation ends badly.

Nathan said...

Hey Myrna, I haven't read "Tyrannosaurus Drip" I'll have to check it out.