Saturday, June 6, 2009

Weekends

Sorry folks, no cartoon today. Just some information on weekends.

I once heard the great illustrator Wendell Minor speak. Someone in the audience asked him what his work schedule was. He answered, "Twelve hours a day, seven days a week." The audience laughed, Wendell Minor did not laugh, he was serious. Me, I was trying to figure out how he'd gotten his work day down to twelve hours only.

I haven't had a proper weekend since October 2006. My Saturdays and Sundays feel exactly like my Mondays and Wednesdays. The illustration work never stops (this is a good thing, we don't want it to stop.) I always like Sunday night, because I know all the art directors and editors I work for will finally be back at their desks in the morning, and the mailman will be out delivering mail. Canadians get mail on Sunday, why can't we?

Well, I've decided to take a break from at least one thing on the weekends, the web-comic. It's going to be a weekday-only thing, for now.

So, in the words I see in many a Friday email, "Have a good weekend!--Be back Monday."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's great that you are taking week-ends off! (at least from the webcomic) Everyone needs a break from things!
Why can't we get mail on Sundays?
I think we need to protest. ...
(this is Emnia Elf.... Only google was driving me mad, so I closed my accounts. I wasn't thinking when I did though, so now my blog is left without a writer, and my friends have no idea what happened! It's really funny though....)

Cranberryfries said...

As a wife of an animator/illustrator/graphic designer I saw GOOD FOR YOU! :P I totally hear ya on the 'Saturdays feel like Wednesdays' thing. He's always working on something. Now if only he could find a full time job. Haha.

Have a good weekend Nathan!